Monday, September 10, 2012

Hot Peppers


Very windy and hot in SD today.  At 5 PM, it was 98 degrees.  Taking out what little moisture we had left.

I dried hot peppers today.   I have red jalapeno peppers, they are about 2 ½ inches long and green habanera peppers, fatter and about 3 ¼ inches.  The peppers are in a raised bed with some onions, and are really dry now.  It was hard to keep this bed moist, as it is not very deep.

One of the jalapeno peppers, dried, equals a scant teaspoon.  I have used some in cooking, and one is a great plenty for our taste buds.

I did get a little smarter this week when doing this, tho.  I used rubber gloves when cutting and handling the little buggers.

Last week after I cut and filled the dehydrator, my fingers were hot and tingled all day and into the next.
Every time the next week when I licked my fingers for some reason or other, they still were giving off hot vibes.
Don’t lick your fingers, you say.  You might be surprised just how often a person does that.

Pepper aficionados  out there, which are hotter---habanera or jalapeno, or are their many things that would make the heat…moisture, variety, etc?  I got both of these from a greenhouse this spring.

Anyway, I will think of this hot South Dakota summer this winter when cooking with my hot peppers.

No comments:

Post a Comment